Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop boo boo's

Double Wells, Arkansas...Just Southwest of Pine Bluff..

Shop boo boo's

I don't have pictures but I can tell ya about some of mine.

While laying under my 82 s-10 street truck my bad idea of a chain hoist attachment point failed and it fell on me, pinning me to the shop floor barely able to breath and in a slight panic as I am claustrophobic. There were a few guys there that semi sorta quickly lifted the truck up enough to get me out. Only after trying to pick it up with the hoist again. Luckily one of them was sober enough to say "Hey, it's an s10 just pick it up!"

I worked for a week stacking bags at Southern Bag before I went out and cranked my truck and it had no headlights. So after crawling under the dash and twisting around to replace the fuse I hear a crack!!! I toughed it out that night but was unable to work the next day so my job made me goto the doctor. At the doctors office asked what happened and I told them a truck fell on me, they then freaked out and asked why I came there instead if the emergency room. I said I didn't think it was much of an emergency. I got my azz chewed out when they found out it had been a week and I had been working. It had busted the cartilage in my chest and I had a couple ribs floating around dangerously. I had a nice bruise across my face and over my ear.

The next one involved working with a torch. I had cut a price of metal and at some point swung the torch still lit right across my fingers on my left hand and burned them badly. I don't have any problems remembering to not do that again. Lol

These are just the ones that come to mind I am sure there are others that have slipped past my memory I will add them later.

Contributing Members Drunknlizard's Avatar
    Working in shop during school, I had lifted my Chevy luv with a floor jack to do something under the front end. Well I had my hand by the wheel when the jack rolled and it rolled my middle finger with it. I yelled, screamed, cried like a baby. It peeled the skin deep and hurt like GOD knows what. SO SO Painful!!!

I worked for Surepull Towing systems back when they was in Pine Bluff. I was welding(actually tacking) the reciever tube collar to the tube. I was going fast trying to make quota so I could go home early with pay. I was holding the gun in my right hand and throwing the tubes over my right side into the bin. It was during this that I had tacked the collar on one and started to throw it when about a 1/2 inch of red hot wire stabbed into my left forearm!!!! Instantly I screamed out, my arm was locked up and curled my wrist and fingers. The pain was so bad I nearly vomitted. It took well somewhere around 2 hours before I got feelings back in my hand and arm. Luckly no major damage!!!!!!!!!!

While stick welding in school, I was attempting to pass the overhead welding test when I heard the teacher ask what was burning, I then realized that a piece of the hot slag had fell off and made its way down my protective leathers and against my tshirt, I jumped up and began runnig like a crazed mad man trying to get the fire out before it burnt my hair.

Funniest is not so much a shop BOOBOO but a work BOOBOO. I work Security for Baptist Hospital and deal with all kinds of crazy things, But I had a Psych patient come into the ER. After having the patient dressed out and searched, the patient began to fight me and I had to slam them to the floor so I could restrain them. Well while I was in the process of going to the ground with them(NOTE, very small hallway) I slammed my forehead against the textered wall and drug in down the wall all the way to ther floor. By the end of the day, I looked like I had a hickie on my forehead that went from my hairline to my eye!!!!!!!!!
    I just squat down in the floor, wrap my arms around my legs and just lean forward........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............Cause that's how I roll !!!!!!!!!!!!

In Loving Memory of my Girlfriend Laura!!!. 04/09/2012. I will always LOVE YOU and I will never forget you.

Shop boo boo's

Some of you may remember our trip to Red River a few years back, I showed up with a bandage on my forehead. I was doing some last minute bolt tightening on my tube front bumper when the ratchet slipped off and I whacked myself in the forehead and split it open and it started gushing blood. I wrapped it up with a grease rag and finished up. My wife blew a gasket cuz I didn't quit and come home to get it doctored. Girls I swear. Lol

Ive had lots of minor booboos but there are two booboos I remember most. I choped the tip of my finger off when a spring compressor sliped. It was hanging on by a string. I called the wife to come get me because I was feeling weezy and wasnt gonna drive. I sat out on the park bench out front with a paper shop rag around it. I looked down and thought I saw my finger tip layen there. I thought How did it get out of the rag? I picked it up and relized it was the end of a cigar. Haha! Thats how dirty my hands were.

My old 01 chevy dually had hydros on it when I first built it and I mounted the pumps upside down in the bed and plumbed all the valves and hoses under the truck for a clean look. One day I was adjusting stuff and it was raised all the way up where I could get my head and arm in the rear fender gap to adjust the flow control valve. I hit the toggle down and nothing happened. I reached under there and cracked it open and I guess the toggle stuck because it started droping. Later thinken about it I shoud have closed the valve but instead I yanked my hand out but the head didnt make it. When I felt the fender touch my neck I thought it was the end but felt better when those ABS fenders started streaching around my head. My buddy Brian jumped in and hit the toggle up and it stayed up. If he wasnt there I probably would have lived but I would have been there awhile. Haha! My mother would have freaked out if she came back there and saw me there.
    Caution! Any advice posted by Sanchez should NEVER be taken serious and should NEVER be tried with out proper safety equipment, paramedics & fire crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
    Ive had lots of minor booboos but there are two booboos I remember most. I choped the tip of my finger off when a spring compressor sliped. It was hanging on by a string. I called the wife to come get me because I was feeling weezy and wasnt gonna drive. I sat out on the park bench out front with a paper shop rag around it. I looked down and thought I saw my finger tip layen there. I thought How did it get out of the rag? I picked it up and relized it was the end of a cigar. Haha! Thats how dirty my hands were.

My old 01 chevy dually had hydros on it when I first built it and I mounted the pumps upside down in the bed and plumbed all the valves and hoses under the truck for a clean look. One day I was adjusting stuff and it was raised all the way up where I could get my head and arm in the rear fender gap to adjust the flow control valve. I hit the toggle down and nothing happened. I reached under there and cracked it open and I guess the toggle stuck because it started droping. Later thinken about it I shoud have closed the valve but instead I yanked my hand out but the head didnt make it. When I felt the fender touch my neck I thought it was the end but felt better when those ABS fenders started streaching around my head. My buddy Brian jumped in and hit the toggle up and it stayed up. If he wasnt there I probably would have lived but I would have been there awhile. Haha! My mother would have freaked out if she came back there and saw me there.

Yea that being hung in a bad spot is a bad one.....

Ole Bateman was helping me one day and we were putting a hood on my Blazer and I moved down to get a better position to tighten the bolts and the one spring on the hood hinge decided it wasn't going to hold and slammed down on his hand. I could tell he was in bad pain, I didn't want to ask but I said "man you know I have to push this hood down to get it off the safety release"....he looked at me like I was crazy then came to his senses and said do what you have to but get my hand out of here.... I can laugh now but it wasn't funny at all then.

A few years back, I was working on a driveline. A blob of grease fell on my safety glasses and I pulled them off to clean them. While I was attempting to get them clean, my hammer decided it did not like where it was. So it poked me in the eye handle first. Thought I had grease in my eye ( because it looked like something floating around). Went to the eye wash station and it did not change, so I went to rub it and my eyeball was soft. The boss took me to health care plus, who then sent me to McFarland's eye center. Lucky for me the eye surgeon was there that day and he stitched my eye up to stop it from loosing all the fluid out of it. I was blind in my left eye for a month until I had a lense implant. I had to look down for a couple of weeks after the surgery, because they filled my eye with air so it would heal. I got really good watching tv in a mirror while laying on the couch. At my first visit to my regular eye doctor he told me I should not be able to see out of that eye.

Thats one of my fears. losing my vision. Everything normal now?
    Caution! Any advice posted by Sanchez should NEVER be taken serious and should NEVER be tried with out proper safety equipment, paramedics & fire crew.

Contributing Members Drunknlizard's Avatar
    Yea losing vision would not be fun!!!!!! Ive had to close calls with eyes.

I was working for IP as a boiler operator when I had to go inspect why one of the boiler feeders was not pushing fuel into the boiler. When I got to the seperator, (a roller covered in metal spikes) I noticed it was clogged up, when I tried to loosen the glass cover it shattered sending small shards of glass at me. I had my safety glasses on but i still got stuff in my eyes. I was taken to the so called hospital in Malvern. The doc cleaned out my eye and most was just sawdust but he got a small sliver of class from behind my eye that could have done major damage.

Second was grinding on my ATV trailer. I dont remember what I was doing to it but I didnt have my glasses and I felt something hit my eye. It caused my vision in that eye to get blurry so I went into the bathroom and looked in the mirror. I could see the sliver of metal sticking into my eye. Well from there I was off to the VA. They called in the Eye doctor and they did all kinds of tests before they removed the sliver.
    I just squat down in the floor, wrap my arms around my legs and just lean forward........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............Cause that's how I roll !!!!!!!!!!!!

In Loving Memory of my Girlfriend Laura!!!. 04/09/2012. I will always LOVE YOU and I will never forget you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
    Thats one of my fears. losing my vision. Everything normal now?

Yea pretty much, but I had to start wearing glasses after it was all over.

Shop boo boo's

Close calls with eyes is terrible. I wear glasses sometimes while working but not near as often as I should.

The last close call I had with a piece of metal in my eye my wife got out with a strong magnet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast